Despite regular cries of “that press release is dead”, it is invariably the first thing most journalists will ask for when PRs pitch them a story.
In a crowded media landscape with thousands of stories competing for coverage, it is vital that your news release stands out from the crowd, grabbing the attention of the journalist in seconds.
Our press release writing courses teach delegates the types of stories and angles that attract editors and how to write from the perspective of the journalist so that they capture their attention. Areas demystified and explained include story angles, quotes that work, key messages, jargon, using good grammar, how to structure and pitch your press release.
The course combines theory, discussion, brainstorming and practical exercises to provide delegates a practical and proven toolkit to take on the challenge of news release writing.
A typical schedule will cover:
- The ingredients of a strong story
- Different types of news story
- Targeting news stories effectively
- The perfect press release: format & content
- The smartphone test: he importance of headlines & introductions
- Generating good story ideas
- How to pitch your story ideas successfully
- The importance of social media and SEO
By the end of one of our press release writing courses, delegates will:
- Understand the rules of engagement with journalists
- Develop skills in story spotting and writing
- Understand how to create a pitch that maximises coverage
- Understand how to write interesting and engaging copy
- Improved story selling skills
- Be more effective at media relations
- Be able to use social media to promote stories
The course can be run over a day or half a day. Every delegate receives a copy of the Rough House Guide to the Media.
Course tutor Ann Wright delivers Effective Press Releases courses for the Public Relations Consultants Association.